My wide range of experience includes criminal defense as a private attorney, being Deputy County Counsel for Colusa County, and both teaching law and serving as counsel at California State University Chico, all of which serve me well in providing the best defense possible for each of my clients. I am very involved in youth sports in Chico, having been a manager and coach for nine different youth teams. Bi-lingual services: Spanish and English.
- Cal Northern School of Law, Juris Dotorate
- California Lawyers Associate, Revised Rules of Professional Conduct
- Taught Justice System Administration at CSU, Chico
- Consultant for the Town Hall Meeting on Legalization of Marijuana
- Guest Lecturer on Domestic Violence, Recidivism and Criminal Conduct
- Winner of the Witkin Award for Academic Excellence
Professional and Academic Affiliations:
- California Bar Association
- Butte County Bar Association
- ARC of Butte County Board of Directors
- National Federation of Paralegal Association
- Chico Noon Exchange Club
- California Attorneys for Criminal Justice
Helping People Solve Legal Problems
As a lawyer, I acknowledge that sometimes we all make mistakes along the way. However, it is oftentimes difficult for the justice system to differentiate our mistakes from the real crimes. If you made a mistake for which you are now accused of a crime, I can help you. If you have a legal problem, let me help you solve it.
Protecting and Preserving Your Rights
As an attorney and private citizen, I am committed to preserving and broadening our civil rights in Northern California and the United States. As a citizen, I am philanthropically oriented. The proclamation, “Ask not what your country can do for you” seems to have fallen by the wayside; yet, it is certainly our responsibility to care for each other and ourselves, not that of someone else. The best approach, in my view, is to encourage the undertaking of personal and civic responsibility instead of the discouragement thereof. As a result, I have always been a volunteer in the community.
- California Western School of Law, Law, JD – Juris Doctor
- Southwestern University School of Law, International Business Transactions, Coursework
- Loyola Law School, Loyola Marymount University, MABA Trial Tactics, Coursework
- Universidad del Salvador, Argentina, Latin American Institutions, Coursework
- California State University, Chico, Political Science, Bachelor of Arts
- California State University, Chico, Spanish, Minor Bachelor of Arts
- Rated Superb by AVVO a perfect “10”
Past or Previous Positions and Memberships
- Judge Pro Tem Glenn County
- Chico Rotary Club
- Member of Top One Hundred Trial Lawyers
- California DUI Lawyers Association
- Member of County, State, and American Bar Associations
Joe Vandervoort, Attorney at Law
I’ve practiced law for more than 45 years. My specialties have always been cases involving drugs, DUIs and the criminal justice system. I know the “justice system” and I know where you can go for other kinds of help. If you need a drug lawyer in Chico, CA or surrounding areas, please call me today.
You should know about your criminal defense attorney. If a law advertisement doesn’t tell you about the attorney there is nothing to say! Here is a list of some of my credentials:
Dean’s List Scholar, University of California Santa Barbara, Bachelor of Arts, 1969.
University of California, Hastings College of Law, Juris Doctorate 1972, and teaching assistant.
Instructor Law Credential, Community College, 1973.
Member or previous member of:
- California DUI Lawyers Association (listed as the only Specialized Rating on CDLA in Butte County) http://www.california-dui-lawyers.org
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- California Public Defenders Association
- National Legal Aid and Defenders Association
- Butte County, State of California, and American Bar Associations
- California Trial Lawyers Association
- California DUI (“Deuce”) Defenders
- Life member of California Attorneys for Criminal Justice (CACJ)
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers
Admitted to practice in all County, State and Federal courts.
Prior Director/Owner of Butte County private Defender System.
Prior Judge Pro Tem in Oroville and Chico.
The only certified specialist in Butte County by California-DUI-Lawyers.org (CDLA).